Nutropin is a prescription Human Growth Hormone (HGH) used to boost the normal growth hormone production in children, teens, and sometimes adults. It is manufactured by Genentech Inc. and marketed by Caremark.
Most commonly prescribed to children and teens, Nutropin is used to treat abnormally low levels of HGH. It is marketed in one-time use pens called NuSpin, by prescription only. It is made of proteins that are administered through injection and need to be given in small doses multiple times a day. Its regular use stimulates growth in the patient by encouraging the production of HGH into the system.
When doctors prescribe Nutropin
Doctors prescribe Nutropin in the following situations:
- To a child or teenager whose body is not producing sufficient HGH on its own
- Young patients diagnosed with Turner Syndrome
- Children or adults who suffer from kidney failure and kidney disease that affects the adrenal gland and leads to stunted growth. It is used only until kidney transplant is done
- Adults who suffer from HGH deficiency due to disease, chemotherapy, congenital birth defect, or blunt trauma
Advantages of Using Nutropin
Many doctors prescribe Nutropin because of the extensive evidence that it greatly improves the body’s HGH production levels. The positive effects of using Nutropin as a HGH supplement are:
- Development of muscle mass
- Improvement in bone density
- Breakdown of excess fat
- Maintenance of a healthy body
- Converting “bad” cholesterol to “good” cholesterol
Side effects and risks
Like any growth hormone supplement, Nutropin shows certain negative side effects. These include:
- Breast enlargement
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain
- Carpel tunnel syndrome
- Feelings of lethargy
- Swelling of the legs, feet, and hands
How Much Does It Cost?
A single 5 mg vial of Nutropin usually costs about US$500. Since dosage is calculated by weight and isn’t standard, each patient’s daily dosage will vary. The standard dosage is .35mg per kilogram of the patient’s weight. It is given in small, equal doses through the day instead of one single dose. Prices can run up to US$2000 a month, which may or may not be covered by insurance, depending on the reason for its use.
How to get Nutropin
The best way to get Nutropin is to visit your doctor or physician. It is a prescription medicine and shouldn’t be used without the supervision of your doctor. Like any growth hormone supplement, if Nutropin is used without a prescription, it can have negative effects on the body.